Thursday, August 14, 2008

Crayola Leftolas

As I prepare my classroom for the start of the school year, I need to clean and organize supplies. I went through containers of crayons and came up with a big pile of broken crayons and larger, yet worn down ones. This morning I took a detour from setting up my classroom and played with crayola “leftolas.” A friend suggested I melt some into one great big crayon. I have never attempted this so I went to the Internet for a “how-to.”







1. Preheat oven to 250
2. Put some crayon pieces in a muffin cup. I used Reynolds extra large foil baking cups to line my muffin tins.
3. Bake approximately 10 minutes or until the crayon pieces melt.
4. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
5. Peel off the foil muffin cups.
6. Name the crayon. Mine will be “Safari.”


I’m leaving the old crayons in my classroom so students can create new giant multi-colored crayons. Each student will get to name his or her color. We are going to gift these to our first grade reading buddies. These crayons are great for little hands. Younger kids can wrap their whole hand around them and "go to town coloring" without breakage.

It is so difficult to clean out a classroom! Everything has value.
The history of Crayola and the names of colors is fun to research. Check out this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment