Friday, July 16, 2010

And the winner is . . .

I collect Newbery books for my classroom library. When I started the collection, it occured to me that I've read a lot more of these books than I realized. As I check my collected books off the list of winners, it's like stepping back in time. These books awakened my love of reading, and working on this collection is like finding old friends. The Newbery Medal is awarded to the year's most distinguished contributions to literature for children.
This summer I have searched the used book stores and I've shopped online. My collection is nearly complete. I intend to display the books in the bookcase created in this post.
I created bookmarks in Microsoft Publisher to tuck inside each book.
I'm working through details for a Newbery book club. Students will be required to read a set number of Newbery books to gain membership. The purpose is to motivate children to read quality literature. Students' interest in books is often triggered by their peers and marketing promotions. I intend to set up discussion boards online and promote my club with member incentives.

No comments:

Post a Comment